Time & Location
Oct 12, 2018, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Colorado Parks and Wildlife, 6060 Broadway, Denver, CO 80216, USA
About the Event
2018 Colorado Bat Working Group Meeting
9am - 4pm, October 12th, 2018
Colorado Parks and Wildlife Office
6060 Broadway, Denver, CO
9:00 – Greetings and introductions, housekeeping – Dan
• Agenda, sign-up sheet, and lunch options
• Western Bat Working Group Meeting
o Tulsa, OK: Meeting date April 22nd-25th
o WBWG dues, $20. Biannual fee tied to meeting if preferred
o Election year for members
• CBWG Board
o Mission statement: Provide an advisory panel to assist the Colorado Bat Working Group Chair in promoting bat conservation goals in Colorado.
o Who’s currently on the Board?
o Fill in gaps in board (NPS, APHIS, USGS, DRMS)
o Is a mid-year meeting needed for officers?
• Special Considerations
10:00 - New Conservation Plan - Kirk
• The updated Plan is DONE, let’s start promoting it (limited hard copies)
• Share link to website with coworkers and colleagues: https://cnhp.colostate.edu/cbwg/consPlan.asp
10:15 – 15 Min Break – ORDER LUNCH
10:30 - Pesticide Discussion – Karen Fox/Dan
• Cases in CO and elsewhere
• Are we seeing contaminants?
• Is anyone looking?
11:15 – NA Bat – North American Bat Monitoring efforts
• 2018 accomplishments – Jeremy/Tina
• Use of data for CHAT efforts – Tina/Dan
12:00 – 15 Min Break – Grab food and move on
12:15 - White-nose Syndrome
• General updates at the national and state levels – Paul/Tina
o Nearest locations to CO
• Cave update – Hubbard and Spring Cave Gating - Jeremy/Dan/Mikele
• Encourage WNS Decon efforts for those who work with bats, but what’s the public message? Climbers outdoors not as critical given UV exposure? Caves and mines? Pest Control Operators?
• Implications for USFS and BLM related to cave closures
o Refresh group on what are these triggers
o CBWG statement on winter use of Colorado bats in rock crevices and implications for WNS management???
1:00 – CBWG Exclusion Recommendations for Public
• Does working group like the idea of having a link on website of recommended exclusion practices for bats in CO that we can steer the public towards
• Would have a short bulleted list of how to attack issue. Do’s and Don’ts and downloadable pdfs of info already available, links to other sites.
• Do we need a subcommittee to head this up?
• Heads up on mesh size used for bat boxes and exclusion netting. Entrapment concern has been raised.
1:45 – AML Status Update
• General updates – Lisa/Kirk
• Mine gate issues
2:00 – 15 Min Break
2:15 - Project Updates
• Steamboat Colony monitoring/Climbers for Bat Conservation – Rob
• Elephant Mountain Survival Estimates - Jeremy
• Occurrence Probability Models/Hwy 6 Tadarida Colony - Dan
3:15 – Round Table
• Fort Lewis College Project – Update on Gateway surveys – Kirk
3:45 – Working Group Updates
• Bat blitz? Skull Canyon Mine/Red Arrow Mine netting/swabbing in spring to look for WNS? Or should we go far away from WNS?
• Next year’s meeting? October, Fri 11th (Mon is holiday), Fri 18th, Mon 21st (NASBR 23-26)
4:00 – Adjourn!
For those who would like to call in (with the caveat that it is often hard to hear) see below:
Dial the local number closest to you and then enter the MeetMee ID.
MeetMe ID #7989 (back up #7984)
Local call in numbers
Colo Springs 719-227-5247
Fort Collins 970-472-4347
Monte Vista 719-587-6887
Grand Junction 970-255-6167